Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Another hard day, for Katelynn and for us. Nathan came up to bring me my clothes and hygiene items since I stayed the night in a hospice sleeping room off the PICU. The day shift nurse did not communicate well the seriousness of Katelynn's condition as she kept giving her potassium for her acidosis. Later in the afternoon, the surgery team decided that they needed to go back in to tighten the PA band and insert a catheter into her stomach cavity to extract all the fluid build up that the kidneys were not processing to eliminate. I was getting so worried and cried - I love Katelynn so much and want more time with her. Tonight, after the surgery, they said that she came through it all right, that they extracted 500-600cc of fluid from her abdomen, which is going to help her a lot. There is less pressure on the kidneys, and hopefully they can function better. They also got the band to a better tighteness consistent with a baby of her size, so hopefully we'll see better results in blood pumping effeciency and breathing. I am spending the night at the hospital again - thanks to my wonderful husband for keeping things rolling at home and me in clean clothes.

No comments:

Post a Comment